Friday, March 20, 2009

Ouch!!


Here is today's lesson:
When using a chainsaw, always use two hands to hold the chainsaw, and wear gloves.

I should be relieved I didn't cut my bloody hand off. Quel con!

In full Spring mode, I had cut back a hazel nut tree and was using the chain saw to cut up the trunks and branches for firewood in a few years. My chainsaw is quite light, it has a 40 cm blade. Fiona was using shears to cut off the smaller branches, some of which we'll keep for kindling and the rest will be put on the bonfire.

I had developed the lazy and dangerous habit of sometimes holding a slimmer branch in my left hand and the chainsaws one-handed in my right, and using the chainsaw to trim off twiggy bits.

Suddenly the chain bit into the junction between twig and branch and pulled the branch (and my hand) into the chain.

Some choice swear words followed, followed by the immnse relief that my stupidity had only inflicted a small wound and not left me handicapped and unemployable.

Because I'm a craven coward I decided immediately that I didn't have to see a doctor. A doctor might decide to stitch it! Lots of thick dark blood pouring out of it convinced me that it was flushed clean. Obviously I wasn't going to be catching tiles at the factory the next day. I phoned in to tell them, and the next day saw the doctor to get signed off for a day or two. The toubib signed me off for a week! Happy days! The weather report says subshine through to Sunday.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 11:06 am, Blogger travelling, but not in love said...

bloody fool.

 
At 2:50 pm, Blogger Cynical Nymph said...

Oh my freaking god. Put that thing AWAY.

 
At 10:04 am, Blogger I LOVE FRANCE said...

oh that looks so sore poor you just to say thank you for your information on paint that will save us a fortune
Im in a rush i will be back to read your blog
Many thanks again

 
At 9:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was very sorry to read of your mishap and I do hope you are now mended and will soon be back to post a new pic - that one is too much for squeamish me and each time I pop in to see if you've posted I'm greeted with your injury - I feel your pain, and hope that you no longer do.

 
At 10:50 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh...first I found your blog through your wifes blog and thought I would check it out....I can't yell at you because I to have done stupid things such as you did with. I was holding a chain saw with one hand and cutting a limb and it kicked back and bless the Lord it didn't get through my jeans...but they did have a nice rip in them..I quite for the day and counted my blessings...glad I am away from the farm and no longer have to do those things..
Just glad it wasn't any worse than it was for you..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home