Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Amateur Archeology

I mentioned in this post that I had to build a gate to replace a temporary fence thing that we had put in place 5 years ago.

Well, the gate got built OK, and even got hung OK, but because of the slope of the ground between the pillars I knew I'd have to level the ground under the gate.
The gate of course had to be hung level. If you hang the gate to follow the ground, it won't open.
And I didn't want the black bitch digging under the gate. So I bought some cement blocks (parpang in french) and started digging a wee trench to bed them in.

Only to discover hidden stone paving slabs between the pillars.
fitting a gate 1
Un fortunately they ran with the ground too, plus they are about 6 centimetres below the current lawn surface so I couldn't expose them without creating a swimming pool.
But what an example of how stuff gets buried and disappears. Only to be dug out by archeologists years later. And in 200 years if someone digs again, they'll find my stuff laid on top.

fitting a gate 2
I decided to lay the blocks on top of the stone flags, simply bedded on sand to take up the difference in level. Behind me is the village church.

fitting a gate 3
Hey! It looks like a grown up did that. You can see our little garden and garage and a runaway laurel hedge that I will shortly cut right down to ground level and allow it to regro, but at a manageable hight.

Today's project is rebuilding my little blue trailer that has rotted away.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 12:04 pm, Blogger dND said...

There's always something to do isn't there!

Nice work on the gate.

 
At 1:06 pm, Blogger Daisy said...

It looks great! Im seriously impressed with your workmanship. And I love your hat too, very chic.

 
At 4:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stew,

Thanks for the comments on my blog! I see we have alot in common when it comes to handy man projects. I've been busy with electrical wiring, wood cutting, and yard work.

Great job on the gate. Very impressive!!! take care.

Terry

 
At 10:17 pm, Blogger Georgina said...

Stew, you are a genious, I am hoping when we are back in the YUK mon Marie will let me buy the cement mixer I've been after for years and I too can "do" projects! Debs x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home