Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Why I left Britain to live in France

A convicted criminal has had his curfew lifted because the electronic tag he was forced to wear did not look good with his shorts.

A self-confessed supplier of heroin. It seems like the script for a sketch on Little Britain, but no, it is your actual, real life news from the BBC.

In many parts of the world, heroin possesion and traffic carries a death sentence. In ZaNuLabour Britain it gets you nine months, suspended for two years.

And then, you get to go back to court, and have your lawyer argue "the tag would not look good with the shorts he was required to wear as his new uniform."

And the judge will say "What nonsense, stop wasting my time" "Wearing an electronic tag is not a fashion item when it comes to working in shorts and trying to sell windsurfing equipment." and rule that your tag may be removed, thus overturning the pitiful previous sentencing.

It is important when reading and/or writing about stuff like this that a stiff drink is at hand and a couch nearby so you can go have a little lie down to avoid the anurism that is likely to occur as the blood boils in your brain.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 2:01 pm, Blogger Georgina said...

Stew, I couldn't agree more. Britain really is going to the dogs. Denis my French buddy has just returned from his first visit to the YUK (Plymouth), he said the young people were injecting, snorting and binge drinking. The girls wore short skirts that they quite happily lifted in full view to attach their mobile phone to their strings. Classy eh! Debs x

 
At 2:33 pm, Blogger dND said...

I my books it would be - you don't want the tag, OK then we'll remove it and you can finish the rest of your sentence in prison. It's incredible really, but then it's been the victims who pay for the crimes for a long time.

I got a good e-mail about a US jail which I'll send you as it's too long to post here.

Deborah x

 
At 3:29 pm, Blogger Stew said...

I forgot to add that the difference in house prices between Britain and France also affected my decision to move!!

 
At 3:31 pm, Blogger Stew said...

Deborah, thanks for the email. At first I thought Sheriff Joe Arpaio was too good to be true, so I goggled him, fully expecting to find him in www.Snopes.com

But no, he's real, and it's all true:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio

 
At 7:40 am, Blogger Marianne said...

Hi there - just found you through the Lehners in France. I concur! I feel so sad when I think about Britain and the drink and drugs and general mess on the streets - Vive la France!

 
At 7:26 pm, Blogger travelling, but not in love said...

shocking. what kind of judge would do that?

stupid, stupid, stupid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home