Thursday, June 19, 2008

This is what it feels like to have hay fever



My eyes itch and are red & teary, my nose runs like a tap.
When I need to sneeze, which is often, it is difficult, because the hay fever has aggrevated my asthma. So that deep breath in before the sneeze? I can't get it in. So I do a wheezy half-hearted gasp for air and then a feeble "chbibblechthth!" which sends a dribble of snot down my chin. And because it is only a half sneeze, it doesn't satisfy. So there'll be a quick succession of rubbish sneezes: "wheeze....chbble!, wheeze....chabropplech!, wheeze...fffchhischh!
The back of my throat and soft pallate have the itch that can't be scratched. But I try and scratch with the back of my tongue, and by making snorking, grunting noises down my throat so I sound like a cat hoiking up furballs.
When I'm sleeping, the asthma slowly builds up until I sound like a kettle coming to boil: "wheeeeeeee.....heeeeeeeeee". 4 seconds silence. "wheeeeeeee.....heeeeeeeeee" Poor Fiona. It finally wakes me up and I have to grope around in the dark for the Ventolin. A few puffs and the whezing stops. But just before I drop of to sleep again, it comes back. Like a mosquito: "whee........hee!"

Yes, Summer is here, and grass needs to be mowed.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 6:12 pm, Blogger travelling, but not in love said...

Stew, if it makes you feel any better, I'm a-suffering too!

Except this year it is combined with a ridiculous cough that I can't shake off either - so my nose is running, my eyes are pouring and I'm coughing like I'm on a TB ward....

ridiculous.

 
At 6:58 pm, Blogger Georgina said...

This must be awful for everyone who suffers from it. I developed an alergy to horses when they molt about four years ago, but I'm nowhere near as bad as you. I hope you get better soon. Debs x

 
At 11:08 pm, Blogger aims said...

I'm right in the middle of mowing at the moment and wondering where my Ventolin is as well.

However - just discovered I have sleep apnea so - oh joy - I will be sleeping permanently with one of those stupid masks over my nose. How romantic is that? Grrrrr

 

Post a Comment

<< Home