Sunday, May 25, 2008

What the hell is this?

Dr Seuss-inspired species from hell that we found in the bath.

How did it get in the bath? Did it come up the drain or fall from the ceiling?

Deborah (dnd) got hold of this post before I pulled it. Well, done Deborah it was only live for about 30 seconds! and says:
it's a Scutigera Coleoptrata and I think they are really cute
Wiki entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scutigera
Very useful things to have in the house. Between them and my cellar spiders I've not seen any house spiders but I do wish they would eat a few more of the mossies that are increasing at the moment :-D

Briony's friend Manon says it's a "mille-patte" and that they eat flies and losquitoes and stuff and don't bite. But the French call anything with more than 8 legs a "mille-patte" and the wiki entry suppled by Deborah says:
Because they eat household pests, house centipedes are considered among the most beneficial creatures that inhabit human dwellings, but because of their alarming appearance, frightening speed, and painful bite, few homeowners are willing to share a home with them.

although
Most house centipedes are incapable of penetrating human skin with a bite or a sting.

Fact is it's a horrifying looking beastie. Now that I know they eat other nasties, I'll refrain from killing them, but I draw the line at sharing my bath with one.

5 Comments:

At 3:39 am, Blogger aims said...

Ewwwwwwwwwwwww!!! Ugly!

 
At 5:08 pm, Blogger Breezy said...

I'm with Aims

 
At 5:08 pm, Blogger dND said...

I disagree aims and Breezy, I think they are beautiful - but then according to my children I'm a bit batty at the best of times :-D

 
At 7:57 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this post was a while ago, but the Dr. Seuss reference inspired me to tell you that my grandfather used to call these beasties "snalagasters", a Seussesque term which I employ as much as possible.

 
At 9:49 pm, Blogger Stew said...

Look what we found in the park, in the dark. We shall take it home. We shall call it Clarke.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home