Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A superb language resource

I give you the Le Grand Dictionnaire from the Office québécois de la langue française.

It is a very good technical French/English/Latin online dictionary. Technical terms and phrases.

Let's give it a whirl. I know many technical words in french that I learned in France. I don't know the English equivalents, because I learned everything about tile production here in France.

For example, the suspended trays that carry the tiles to the other part of the factory are called balancelles. The dictionary gives me "suspended tray conveyor" with the synonym "swing tray for overhead conveyor". Spot on, that's exactly what it is.

Last week, on the DTP press, a "goujon" was replaced by the mechanics and they put in the wrong sized "goujon" and as a result all the "bagues" on the "moules" were pushed out of place. Bagues is ring, of course, and moule is mould but "goujon"? The dictionary gives me "stud" with the explanation "A round, headless, bolt-like fastener with threads on both ends. One of its ends at least is intended for a nut." Exactly.

In the field of plumbing I come across "soupape" often. The dictionary defines it as a valve and gives an illustration of a tap and all its parts. I've also learned the the English for "bride" is "flange".

So, forget Google's language tools. before you go down to BricoDepot, or BatiLeClerc, or Brico Marché or whatever, find out the right technical term for what your looking for in Le Grand Dictionnaire

On a technical note, I leave you with the Two Ronnies classic - Fork Handles

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 11:53 pm, Blogger Pecheur said...

All I can say is that you rock with your French knowledge. Thanks for the resource.

 
At 10:00 am, Blogger travelling, but not in love said...

Tabernac! Imagine the Quebecois being so efficient. I can, actually.

You'll note that it's not the French being that efficient with their own language though....

 
At 10:01 am, Blogger travelling, but not in love said...

And how great is Fork Handles? Classic!

 
At 11:23 am, Blogger Georgina said...

I'll give that web site a go, sure beats saying "un truc comme ca". Last year I needed a gasket and looked it up as "joint", when I asked Eric "what's the word for this in french" He replied "Jwang". I asked him to spell it "J O I N T." We have the accent to contend with here too.
Four Candles. I love it! Debs

 
At 5:57 pm, Blogger aims said...

I wish we got the two Ronnies here...they look pretty funny!!

How do they manage to keep a straight face when they're doing that sort of thing!?

 
At 8:28 pm, Blogger Dumdad said...

Excellent juxtaposition of your post and the Two Ronnies; I haven't seen this sketch for ages -
thanks.

Without getting too serious, the video is a great example of how language divides us. Even in English we often can't understand one another - how in hell are we going to cope with French and the French?

Oh, and thanks for the link, very useful.

 
At 2:08 am, Blogger Breezy said...

I love the fork handles sketch! speaking of which just where can you get proper fork handles here? Ones with a proper top not just a T piece or even worse just a straight stick

 
At 9:51 am, Blogger Debra in France said...

Brilliant! So good to see that sketch again, one of my very favs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home