Tuesday, April 08, 2008

An appeal for help - Stroke victim support.

Two weeks ago, a friend and neighbour suffered a stroke at home. He is 68 and has retired here in France, and lives with his wife.

Neither he or his wife speak any French (despite having been in the country for 4 years). So when he had his stroke, he was collapsed on the woodpile in the barn, his wife couldn't phone 18 for les pompiers or 15 for SAMU because she didn't know of those numbers, and wouldn't have been able to describe the problem, or give directions if she had known them.

So she called round her English friends, most of whome were out, because this happened on Easter Sunday.

Fiona & I have been helping when required with translations and stuff.

I've been trying to find out if there are support groups for English stroke victims in France because, for example, a French speech therapist would not be of great help to an English speaker. So far, no luck. I've located the French equivalents and had a few discussions on their forums, but I havn't found anything yet.

I can't believe that he is the first English immigrant to have suffered a stroke and be treated in France. I want to contact others so I can put them in contact with each other so they can share their experiences and make the best choices.

If no such support group exists, then I reckon I'll have to form one.

So what I'm asking for is: do you know of any English people, living in France who have suffered a stroke or an aneurism?

The following are just a bunch of keywords to help anyone searching for the same thing to find this page and contact me.

Stroke, aneurism, apoplexie, AVC, accident vasculaire cérébral

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At 2:22 pm, Blogger Georgina said...

Hi Stew I read something ages ago about a group setting up looking for volunteers, to help with translations and therapy in such cases Let me se what I can find. Debs

 
At 10:36 pm, Blogger travelling, but not in love said...

Stew, this sounds like a lot of work for you - how lucky these people are to have such a good friend in you.

I'm not going to be much help to you in finding others to talk to, but if you think there's anything else I can do, just shout.

You're a good man.

 
At 4:09 pm, Blogger dND said...

Hi Stew,

I've no info to give at the moment, but will talk about it with people over the next weeks and see what I can find.

As you say he isn't the first, and sadly won't be the last so a central point for pooling information is a really good idea.

Deborah

 
At 6:39 pm, Blogger Pecheur said...

At this point I do not know of anything. But I'll keep my ears peeled in case I hear anything.

Sorry to hear about your friend though. My heart goes out to them and to you and Fiona who are helping them.

All of you are in our thoughts at this time.

 
At 10:02 pm, Blogger dND said...

Hi Stew
I have nominated you for a blog award. The details are on my blog.
Cheers,
Deborah

 
At 1:23 pm, Blogger Stew said...

You are all very kind. Thanks for the tips and encouragement. I have some leads and will have some wee paragraphs in the local English papers.
I'm going to call Charante Libre too, as I have a contact there. So many French people have English neighbours these days!

 
At 10:54 pm, Blogger dND said...

I got a couple of these cards from one of the regions.

http://www.frenchentree.com/france-limousin/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=23285

Why is it I can't paste links into comments? It's on the FrenchEntree, Limousin site. Some of the other regions have them too. I just remember that 112 is the works everywhere number

 
At 11:33 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband had a stroke last year and another this month whilst on holiday in Portugal. We live in landes sw France. There do not appear to be any support groups, but I am willing to share or help over the Internet. Tkhere are also as far as I can tell, no carer support groups. There is help available to give free time to the carer and for washing invalid etc. I also have a cleaner once a week for a small cost.
Speech therapy is difficult, but as I was a special needs teacher I was able to work through a lot and translated as my husband attend speech therapy
Irene brindle

 
At 8:55 pm, Blogger louise sprackling said...

Hi stew

I just wondered if you ever got anywhere with finding help for Brits in France when there has been a stroke. My parent now live in the macon Region, Burgandy. and my father suffered from Encephalitus a month agi and a mild Stroke. He made it but hsas lost his speech and memory and all the fabulous French he spoke. I am trying to find support for my mum who does ot speak good frecnh and needs to find an English Speaking Speech Therapist. if you can help to signpost to people of organisations that could help that would be great

thanks

Louise

 
At 9:27 pm, Blogger Stew said...

Hello Louise,

I've been out of touch with all this, but I could maybe help you find some up to date resources and networks

Cobtact me direct at
stewart dot paterson @ sfr dot fr

 

Post a Comment

<< Home