Friday, November 23, 2007

Friday's Favorite French Things

Suze

A bright yellow aperatif that is made from gentiane root. When I first saw someone drinking it in the cafe it was its acid colour that attracted my attention.
"C'est quoi comme boisson ca?"
"Goute"
So I did. At first taste it is sweet and aromatic, but as you swallow the taste changes to give the most bitter, face-puckering aftertaste. "Merde! C'n'est pas un apero, c'est un medicament!"
It really was awful. So awful, that I had to keep trying it every few weeks just to make sure I wasn't mistaken. I wasn't. It was still as ever the most nasty bitter thing I'd ever paid money for.
But the odd thing was, it started to grow on me. And then I bought a bottle for home, and much to my surprise it disappeared quite quickly. This photo shows the last glass of my second bottle.
The reverse label says:
Suze - 1889. For more than a century the production of Suze has preserved the know-how inherited from its founders. The traditional distillation of aromatic extracts of plants gives it its unique personality.
My wife is appalled that I didn't clear the crap off the table before taking the photo.
I drink it straight, with ice, but the label also recommends drinking it with tonic, orange juice or grapefruit juice at 1/3 Suze, 2/3 mixer or with a dash of cassis,

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 4:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From the description, it sounds like absinthe, only it's not green. :) Absinthe tastes like medicine, too.

 
At 5:31 pm, Blogger travelling, but not in love said...

Suze and tonic. fantastic....

I love this drink. But then, that doesn't surprise you does it?

a) it's alcoholic and
b) it goes with tonic (i.e. a good back up for when the gin runs out)

That said, I'm not sure it's something to be consumed in public....

 
At 9:34 pm, Blogger farming-frenchstyle said...

Just a simple answer - stick to Pineau or Kir!

 
At 9:54 pm, Blogger Stew said...

Pineau and Kir - soon to be featured in future editions of Friday's Favorite French Things

 

Post a Comment

<< Home