Monday, November 19, 2007

Crazy Eights

tagged by TBNIL
A list of things in eights . . .

Eight things I am passionate about
Now here's the problem. I'm not passionate about anything. So the best I can do is give you a list of things that make me tut or say "well really"
1. The situation in Zimbabwe
I was born and raised there, 28 years. I've got nothing against politicians feathering their nests. It's to be expected. But Mugabe has dragged the country into chaos and shambles. He has killed hundreds of thousands of his people, either directly thru genocide or indirectly thru starvation, lack of medical facilites etc. Women can't even buy sanitary products any more. Children don't go to school because there are no teachers, no books, no pencils, and the kids faint from hunger in class.

2. Language - I love etymology, I love the history of phrases. Devil & the deep blue sea. Batting on a sticky wicket. Throw in the towel. Cast the first stone. ROFL. LOLCats. No shit Shirlock

3. Grammar/Spelling. Look. There are rules. You can break the rules, that's fine, but you have to know the rules before you can break them. It's and its. Their, they're and their. Stationary/stationery. President/precident. I just hope to god I spell everything correctly in this post.

4. Science. It's going to save us.

5. Logic & Reason. Woolly thinking and touchy/feely New Age Alternate Holistic bullshit get me tutting and rolling my eyes like a good'un.

6. Bad Maths, abuse of statistics. Especially in TV adverts.

7. Old stuff. Antiques and traditions

8. Good engineering. I've sat and marvelled at the tolerances required for the tab mechanism of cans to function properly

Eight things to do before I die
1. PBP 2011

2. Run with bulls at Pamplona

3. See the Aurora Borealis

4. Go fossil hunting or help on an archeological dig

5. Make a pligrmage to Saint Jacques de Compostelle by horse.

6. See my children happily reach adulthood, and with a bit of luck see some grandchildren

7. Learn not to worry so much

8. Restore a Suzuki GS110 Katana


Eight things I say often
1. "Bloody dogs"

2. "Bloody kids"

3. "N'importe quoi"

4. "Fuck"

5. "Merde"

6. "Just calm down"

7. "move your fucking arse you doddering old cunt"

8. "no, don't bother to indicate, I'll just fucking guess what you're doing"


Eight books I have read or am still reading
1. Les Soerciers - Terry Pratchet (currently reading)
2. The Inheritors - William Golding
3. Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Rbert Pirsig (many times)
4. Cold Reading - Ian Rowland
5. Why People Believe Weird Things - Michael Shermer
6. A Brief History of Everything - Bill Bryson
7. Troblesome Words - Bill Bryson
8. Everything Steinbeck has written.

Eight songs to listen to over and over again
I consider these to be perfectly constructed songs. That's why there never tire
1. Juanez - La Camisa Negra
2. Zucchero - Baila Morena
3. Les Rita Mitsouko - Marcia Baila
4. Tom Waites - Jockey Full of Bourbon
5. Rolling Stones - Stray Cat Blues
6. Jethro Tull - Locomotive Breath
7. Neil Young - Ambulance Blues
8. The Band - The Weight


Eight things that attract me to friends
Ah, friends - I've heard of them . . .
1. Shared Interests
2. Intelligence
3. Make me laugh
4. Carbon-based
5. er . . that's it

Eight people I think should do crazy eight's
Jamon at Sans God
Blognor Regis
Michael Bains at SillyHumans
A Whore in the Temple of Reason
Chris Bradley at Deeply Blashemous

5 Comments:

At 8:02 pm, Blogger jamon said...

bastard

 
At 9:11 pm, Blogger Michael Bains said...

Dammit! Jamon stole my line...

{-;

BTW, Is your #7 a Pro or a Con? Or a 1) Pro & 2) Con.

Or vice-a-versa, though that's how they work for me.

 
At 10:01 pm, Blogger Stew said...

Old stuff. Antiques and traditions.

I like those things. I like old motorbikes, old cars, old kitchen stuff. I like it when the things I own are no longer new, but get "worn in" and acquire a patina of age and use. I prefer to try and fix and renovate rather than replace.

Traditions - I like doing things, just because that's the way it's always been done. I recognise that that is no excuse for perpetuating bad behaviour, bad practice, but, all else being equal, I like the idea of habits being passed down generation to generation. I like the idea that traditions can be also be started. A new family, a new relationship, can start a new tradition.

 
At 11:49 pm, Blogger Reason's Whore said...

Ha ha, you spelled a word wrong. Two names, actually. Also I hope you feel more than "tut tut" over genocide. But I guess you can't help it if you don't.

Thanks for the tag...this looks like a fun one.

 
At 10:12 am, Blogger Stew said...

Slut - perhaps it's down to my definition of the word "passionate", but I feel the correct response to genocide should be something more than a link to a news article. And yet that's the most I manage to achieve.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home