Wednesday, May 23, 2007

What depths of hoplessness & dispair

The parents of Madeleine McCann are making a pilgrimage to Portugal's most holy shrine today to pray for the "miracle" of her safe return.

Daily Telegraph 23 May 2007
There has been enough said on the net about responsability and culpability in this affair.
It must be every parents worst nightmare. Its the kind of story that makes you wake up your kids in the night just to give them a kiss.

Gerry and Kate McCann will travel to Fatima in the north of the country.
Gerry and Kate McCann are devout Catholics and have visited a church in Praia da Luz regularly
It is regarded as a site of miracles after a series of apparitions of the Virgin Mary were reported by three young shepherd children in 1917.

These poor, tortured, guilt-wracked parents are starting to hit the buffers. The police seem ta have followed up all leads and have so far found nothing concrete.
The psychic vultures have started wheeling as two UK psychic detectives have arrived in Portugal in a bid to help track down missing toddler Madeleine McCann.
Mr McCann said yesterday: "Both of us have taken a great deal of strength from our faith. We want to visit the shrine of Fatima to pray for Madeleine's return to us."
The four-hour trip, which comes 20 days after the disappearance of the four-year-old, is expected to mark the beginning of a series of "missions".

It seems to me that the mention of the length of the trip, and the future "missions" indicate that they are starting to do physical "penance" in a hope that their suffering and dedication will appease.
These poor people. They have come face to face with the ugly truth that there is terrible evil in the world, and they think that somehow there is a God in control and that this is all part of his mysterious plan.
They may one day come to realise the truth - this univers is steering itself and shit happens. Sometimes very bad shit happens.
I find it difficult to see how Christians can hold onto their faith, let alone take strength from it when faced with the problem of evil and suffering in the world.
Yet, because I hope, I hope, I hope, they find their daughter safe and well, I would be entirely happy for them to have every facet of their faith endorsed and strengthened if their daughter is restored.
For me there is no blame, I can't read this news story and think "supersticious fools". If I was in the same situation wouldn't I willingly go on my knees across a mile of broken glass to get to whatever shrine would reward me with my child's return?

1 Comments:

At 5:51 pm, Blogger jamon said...

This is such a tragic tale. I swear, I get a lump in my throat thinking about it.

I hope too, of course. But can't help think but that their faith is getting in the way. It seems that this searching for a miracle just prolongs their pain.

As you say mind you, I'd not call how I'd react in the same situation.

For once, I hope against all hopes that I'm wrong.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home