Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Ginger Beer

Planet Atheism people: nothing to see here, please move along.
Summer is here, so its time for me to make ginger beer again. Every year I forget the recipe and have to look it up. Each year I look it up I get a different variation, but they're all mainly the same.
You make a ginger starter. This baby is where most of the flavour comes from. After a week of brewing you expand the starter with water and sugar to get about 2.5 litres (5 pints) of ginger beer. This gets bottled and does some more fermenting in the bottles. This gives it fiz.
The Starter.
In a jar put:
2 teaspoons brown sugar (or white if it's all you've got)
The juice of 2 lemons
some of the lemon pulp
some of the lemon zest
grated or finely sliced fresh ginger root. (Use a whole root, why not?)
2 teaspons ground ginger
1 teaspoon active dried yeast. (can be brewer's or baking, I don't give a monkey's)
Here were my ingredients this morning:

The Pineau and the saucisson are optional and are NOT to go in the jug. They go in your tummy.
Cover the jug with a cloth or kitchen roll. I used kitchen roll and an elastic band. We don't want those nasty little fruit fly things hovering around.

Put the jar in a dark place, but not cold. This baby wants warmth to do its magic.
Then, for the next seven days, add 2 teaspoons of sugar, and 2 teaspoons of ground ginger. Stir it up to dissolve the sugar and recover. The starter should be bubbling by mad within hours. Smell that ginger! mmmm.
The next steps, of diluting and bottling will be blogged here.

5 Comments:

At 10:09 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

As a person who does a little homebrewing, myself (I just bottled a while ago a Belgian dubble), I'm fascinated to see how this is going to go. :)

 
At 7:22 am, Blogger jamon said...

I love ginger beer, though have never brewed it.

I'm going to give it a go - thants for the tips!

 
At 12:40 am, Blogger Reason's Whore said...

I've been wanting to try making my own. I hate supporting the Coke Corporation. Thanks and I'm waiting to see the rest.

 
At 10:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every evening I kneel beside my bed and pray: God Bless the Coca-Cola company, for the Coke in my bourbon and the ice cold one I have every afternoon. Two for one deal on six packs at Sainsbury's this week! Hurrah! Oh, and God bless Philip Morris and Co. for my Marlboro Lights too. And please don't smite my brother. Amen.

 
At 12:21 pm, Blogger Stew said...

Ha! if only God would smite me! It's just the kind of proof atheists demand as evidence for God. Unfortunately, I think god (if he be) doesn't give a toss. He's probably over at some fledgling planet in the Andromeda Galaxy telling some 3 legged bug-eyed tribe "You are my chosen people" and "whoosh!" a scartlburj bush springs into flame.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home