Wednesday, December 20, 2006

I'm having a fag!

Here's another difference between France & Britian - sweet cigarettes.

It's entierely normal to find sweet cigarettes in the shops, and parents don't even blink at the notion of letting 4-year-old Jean-Baptist running about with a fake fag in his mouth.
Which I think is absolutely hilarious. The good folk of ASH are concerned
Maureen Moore, chief executive of ASH Scotland, said it was time that selling sweet cigarettes was outlawed.

She said: "There is a possibility that these kind of sweets could be banned under a ban on tobacco advertising, which will cover anything which mimics or looks like cigarettes.


These quotes are from a 2002 article in the Edinburgh Evening News

Martin Raymond, deputy director of programmes at the Health Education Board of Scotland (HEBS), added: "We are surprised that in this day and age this type of confectionery is still available. We do not want to be po-faced but smoking is a serious issue.

"The problem with sweetie cigarettes is it normalises smoking behaviour for young children. It isn’t doing their teeth any good either."


I think that being po-faced is exactly what they want to be. Playing cops and robbers with toy guns doesn't normalise shooting behaviour in children. People like Martin Raymond probably also want to ban chocolate money. What would his reaction be to a drink in France marketed at children called "Champommy". It's sparkling apple juice but it is bottled with foil around the neck like champagne and the TV ads show kids having a great time at a party drinking the stuff. Ban it I reckon.
The splendid examples in the photo include the brands "Chicago" and "San Francisco" and there is also a plastic lighter and a pipe.

3 Comments:

At 9:58 am, Blogger Adam said...

Stumbled across your blog via the "Next Blog" button!

Those sweet fags are funny, your right, people here in the UK would go mad, I know my Mum would totally disaprove!

 
At 1:28 am, Blogger Nava said...

Ban sweet cigarettes?
That's real funny.

When I was 6 years old, my sister (12 years older than me) gave me a cigarette and told me to inhale.
I did - and coughed forever.
That was the best preventive medicine - I never managed to take up smoking, even though I tried.

 
At 8:16 am, Blogger C. L. Hanson said...

I'm not convinced that letting kids have candy cigarettes is socially acceptable here in France. Actually there's a funny point regarding your toy guns analogy that I was planning to blog about one of these days: Lucky Luke

Lucky Luke is a popular French comic for kids about an American cowboy. He's the fastest draw in the west -- he can draw his gun faster than his own shadow!!! In all of the early books of Lucky Luke, he's a major chain-smoker -- practically every frame he's either smoking or rolling a cigarette. But in the new ones? He's quit smoking. In fact he specifically mentioned in one panel I read that he'd quit smoking. I assume this is because the parents didn't like their kids emulating Lucky Luke's smoking. But has he quit shooting people? Doesn't look like it... ;^)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home