Sunday, March 26, 2006

Spring has sprung

Categories:
Day 5 of the 6 day shift cycle. Shift 8:00 pm till 4:00 am
Tiles made: Rives GR13 Gauche Rouge - 4500
Dry Tiles unstacked: Ventilation BV, Faitieres 1/2 Rond RV, Rives Corner RV

Ah, I love the DTP press, after the Mulder it's like a day off.
I had to jump around tho, because there was a conveyor belt misbehaving and the Rives Corners jamming in the conveyors, as well as having to monitor the press.
The night was very humid and heavy too. T shirt weather. Nounours brought in Champagne and apple tarts to celebrate the birth of his son, which we shared at the break.
They're a funny lot the French, he brings champers and distributes it, and everyone drinks, but no one says "congrats" or "cheers". So I said in a loud voice "Allez, santé, Nounours on te souhaite les meilleurs veux et bon santé à toi, ta femme, et le petit garcon Winnie Ourson" which translates as "So, cheers, Teddy-bear we wish you all the best, good health to you, your wife, and the little boy Winnie the Pooh".
(The pooh thing being a joke about his nickname teddybear see?) I swear if I hadn't made a toast no-one else would have. I probably made some sort of cultural gaffe but fuck it.

The clocks went forward an hour, and since our shift finished at 4:00 am the next shift arrived after we had only done 7 hours. Everyone could go home, but volunteers could stay the extra hour for cleaning and maintenance. We need the money so I stayed on.

Today the weather has been nice and warm, 19 degrees Celcius. The primulas are going mad in ald the roadside ditches, the flies are waking up and the flowering cherries are in bloom.

Love it.

1 Comments:

At 11:37 am, Blogger Michael Bains said...

Even though I've never left the US, I frequently enjoy the use of "cultural gaffs." {sigh} Folk in the midwest just don't seem to grok my wit sometimes...

Thanks for you comments of late Stew! I love such as much on their own as for the new world's and lives to which they lead me. tres cool amigo. (What's the French for friend, eh?)

I can't wait 'til the weather here catches up w/ what you're having!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home