Thursday, March 30, 2006

every bit as sad as train spotting

Categories:

France is administered via 95 Departments. They are ordered roughly numerically from 01: Ain to 95: Val-d'Oise. We live in department 16: Charente.

Vehicle registration is administered on a department basis, and the last 2 numbers of every number plate refers to the department the car is registered in. So in the Charente, all number plates end in 16.

As I was driving around, I'd notice number plates from the neighbouring departments, like 24: Dordogne or 33: Gironde.

And then a terrible obsessive/compulsive idea hit me. I have to take note of a care from every department in France. IN ORDER. That was nearly a year ago, and I am now keeping my eyes open for a car from 09: Ariège. Obviously I'll spot more cars in Summer as folk travel around on holiday, and neighbouring departments will get notched up quickly, but I'm dreading getting to the 2 Corsican registrations. Shit, how many Corsicans come on a driving holiday to the Charente?

Depts to date:
01 Ain
02 Aisne
03 Allier
04 Alpes-de-Haute-Provence
05 Hautes-Alpes
06 Alpes-Maritimes
07 Ardèche
08 Ardennes

Now, how sad is that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home